Over the January 30th weekend, I participated in the Global Game Jam. On Friday, I drove down to Waikato University in Hamilton. After the keynote from World of Goo creator Kyle Gabler (starts at about the 1:35 mark), we split into groups. A guy named Andy (who has started a game company called GameMold) grabbed me and we went off and came up with a pretty decent concept in about 20 minutes. A few other guys joined us and we brainstormed for another hour or so. Eventually, though, we came back to our original idea and began prototyping it. A couple of the other guys split off and created Wardance, so me and Andy worked by ourselves and created SnowLemmings over the next 48 hours. I wrote the not-entirely-stable code while Andy created all the art, selected the sounds and music and designed the level.
It turned out quite well, and was definitely one of the most polished-looking games at the Jam. We are continuing to work on it, to polish it up and expand the game play after we recover from the lack of sleep and hygiene.
Can you smell what Barack is cookin'?!?
Here's a hint:
Ingredients: 270 electoral votes.
Cook on medium for 4 to 8 years.
Change of plans - I gave up on CakePHP and decided to rewrite the site from scratch. CakePHP made doing the normal things very easy, but when I wanted to do something different, I really had to fight it.
The final straw was when setting up the Contact page, I wanted to add some validation to the form. But to use CakePHP's nice form validation methods, the form data had to be associated with Model, and the Model had to be associated with a database table. Since it was just sending an email, there was no table, so eventually I had to write my own special validation for that page.
Anywho, its all finished and I can start actually working on new stuff now.
I'm slowly putting the old sections of my site back up. First up is the games section (formerly known as Flash). I'll probably divide them up into two groups on that main page, since a bunch of those aren't actually games, just interactive toys.
Next is probably Big McLargeHuge, since its easy. Then back to work on Progressive Comics 2, which has been in progress for about 5 years or so. The code is about 60% done, but I'm debating whether to scrap it and start over. Recoding it in ActionScript 3 (I started coding it in Flash MX with AS2) would make it quite a bit cleaner (especially the component skinning), but I could very well get sidetracked again and delay it another couple years.
So it goes.